VET stands for Vocational Education and Training and refers to national qualifications that are endorsed by industry. Theses courses provide students with:
- a head start to their chosen career pathway while still at school
- a more relevant and interesting senior school curriculum
- the opportunity to complete their SACE as well as gain on the job training.
Grant High School offers VET courses in:
- Building Trades – The school has a Doorways to Construction (D2C) facility where students are instructed in Nationally Recognised Competency Units from the Certificate I and II Construction Pathways program. Students undertake 10 days per term building transportable houses and a further 20 days doing structured workplace learning in the industry. For more details refer to the Limestone Coast VET handbook or contact the D2C co-ordinator 8726 3143 or 0419 257 635.
- Information Technology – Students work through competencies from the Certificate I and II in Information Technology. Much of the learning is self directed which provides a platform for students to reflect and develop their capability for work and learning. For more information contact 8726 3100.
- Agriculture – The school has an 8ha farm where students are instructed in Nationally Recognised Competency Units when raising and caring for the Low Line cattle stud and the Poll Dorset sheep stud. Students work on the Ag farm and undertake further training in the industry through structured workplace learning. For more details refer to the Limestone Coast VET handbook or contact 8726 3100.
- Hospitality – The school offers the Certificate I in Hospitality (Kitchen Operations) to reflect the role of an entry level kitchen hand within a commercial kitchen. Students are given opportunities to cater for functions at the school or in the community to enhance their skills. For more information crefer to the Limestone Coast VET handbook or contact 8726 3100.
- Engineering -The school offers units from the Certificate I in Engineering course which focuses on the production/manufacturing areas of engineering. For more details refer to the Limestone Coast VET handbook or contact the school 8726 3100.
Students can also access VET courses through TAFE or other RTOs and other schools. VET courses include:
- Aged Care
- Child Care
- Clothing and Fashion
- Forest and Forest Products
- Hair and Beauty
- And others
If you would like further information, please contact the school for a copy of the current Limestone Coast VET Course Handbook or contact
- VET Co-ordinator – Neil Pilgrim 8726 3100
Grant High School also supports students through School Based Apprenticeships. For more detail contact Neil Pilgrim 8726 3100